How you doin’? Do you know what you’re doin’? Today we’re coming at you with a post on a breathing exercise which is great to do whenever life feels a little much. Or whenever you want to relax. Or focus. Breathing exercises are great for many reasons, one being that you only need yourself to do them. The breath is our constant companion and through it, we can affect both our level of stress and the speed of our thoughts.
This exercise is commonly used in yoga and is called Ujjayi breathing. During the thousands of years that it has been used, Ujjayi has also gotten the nickname ‘victorious breath’ for its ability to help us conquer our thoughts and be present in the moment. Nice, huh? In Ujjayi, one breathes through the nose and constricts some of the air in the back of one’s throat which creates a sort of wheezing noise, similar to a wave sound.
This is how you do it:
- Sit on the floor with your spine straight.
- Focus on your breath, just listen to it for a moment.
- Start to deepen your breath. Breath all the air our through your nose and then in through your nose until you reach your full lung capacity.
- Now imagine you were about to make fog on a mirror, make the same haaah exhalation. Listen to the sound. Close your mouth and continue making the sound with the same noise while you breathe through your nose. Feel the air on the roof of your mouth, toward the throat.
- Do 10 of these Ujjayi breaths. Listen to the ocean-like sound and feel how you feel afterward. Does it feel good?
Hope enjoyed this exercise. If you feel like doing more of these, we’ve written a post on deep breathing before – check it out.
Talk to you soon!