Back to school and a tighter budget! Yes! Living off noodles is one way to cut food costs, sure, but eating noodles doesn’t have to mean MSG packed noodles. Doing it yourself is cheap and nutritious. Here’s how we do it.
What you need
- 1 red onion (or shallot if you’re not broke yet)
- 1 (or maybe 2) cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 (big) tsp red curry paste
- 1 small pack tofu
- A couple of carrots, sliced
- Some broccoli in small pieces
- A couple of dl’s coconut milk
- Noodles (rice, egg or whichever is on sale at your store)
- Soy sauce or tamari
What to do
First thing, if you have the time, press the tofu. Then cut it into cubes and roast it in the oven until golden. While the tofu’s roasting, fry onion, garlic and ginger in some coconut oil. Add the curry paste and stir. Then add the coconut milk and allow to simmer for a while. Boil the noodles in another pot. When they’re almost done, add the vegetables. Strain noodles+vegs, add them to the sauce, stir, add soy or tamari to taste. Done!
A few notes:
- To make the dish a little more luxe, add a wild amount of coriander and sesame seeds.
- If you’ve got some sesame oil in a cupboard, put some on the tofu, it’s yummy.
- If you don’t like tofu, by all means switch it for mushrooms or something else you do like.